What is BELLA?
This study tests a teacher professional development program, Bridging English Language Learning and Academics (BELLA), for increasing the language and literacy skills of young Latino English learners. The BELLA model has three key components taught with the support of a coach to ESL and early literacy classroom teachers:
- Collaboration between the ESL teacher and classroom teachers
- Utilizing high-impact instructional strategies for working with English Learners
- Harnessing cultural wealth in the classroom.
The purpose of this randomized control trial is to test the efficacy of the Bridging English Language Learning to Academics (BELLA) professional development program for improving teacher and student outcomes.
Teacher outcomes of interest include:
- Collaboration between the ESL and classroom teachers
- Implementation of high-impact instructional strategies
- Incorporation of the students’ cultural wealth into the classroom
Student outcomes of interest include:
- Foundational literacy skills
- Language and writing skills
- Comprehension for literature and informational texts
- Vocabulary use and functions, and
- Academic engagement